Becca, Riley, Tami, Camden, and Parker went to the Austin Children's Musuem. The kids seemed to have had a good time. Paul and I rode the crazy bus downtown from campus (route #1 has, well, and interesting crowd - I used to take it most days to school). We headed to the BBQ capital of Texas, Lockhart, to give the Haines a real Texas BBQ experience. We downed a pound of brisket, 6 ribs, two slices of prime rib, some cheese, big reds, and almost a loaf of bread. We were pretty full for the rest of the day.
After returning from Lockhart, Paul and I got dropped off downtown again and we roamed around the various tailgates. I knew tailgating was big, but even I was surprised by the extent and skill of these tailgaters. There were tailgaters everywhere. There isn't one lot like a lot of places, but many lots. I saw at least 50-100 smokers, most built into a trailer. Here's an example of one of the tailgating vehicles. There were enough big (some BIG) screen flat panels and satellite dishes everywhere that we got in more football watching than we could have at home.
Around 6, Paul and I headed to the stadium to take in all the pregame festivities and see Texas dominate Missouri. The score doesn't do the game justice: 56 - 31. The first half score: 35-3 better exemplifies the smackdown. The offense was crisp and the defense was spectacular. It was LOUD. It gave me goosebumps. And no voice. I've been to about a dozen games, but I don't think I've heard it louder. It helps that they enclosed one side of the stadium and that we set a new attendence record (98,363). Paul enjoyed his Big XII football experience and likened it to ACC basketball in atmosphere (that's some HUGE props from him) and can now check it off his sports to do list.
Football + Best BBQ in Texas + Football = Great day.
2 comments:
Like Albuquerque (UNM) ever has a chance of hosting ESPN gameday!! Looks like you are giving the Haines a real Texas experience.
Best Weekend EVER! I've been to a lot of NFL games (Sorry, that was pre-mission, if you know what I mean) and college games, and this weekend was tops!
Consider me a Longhorn fan here on out! Texas....FIGHT!
-Paul
Post a Comment