Thursday, February 5, 2009

Little Miss Loquacious

Riley is picking up new words and phrases faster than the adults around her can get out of the habit of saying certain things. "Hoey moey!" is harmless, but she has also exclaimed "Hoey cwap!" "Shuddup"and "Dangit!" in random situations that didn't really warrant any outburst at all. However, she did show some good judgement when she refused to repeat my uncle in saying "BYU." He got her with "cougars", though.

When I walked in the room this afternoon to get her out of her bed after her nap she smiled at me and said "Hi, Poopy!" Lovely.

But the funniest so far happened the other night. She asked me for something and I told her no. She continued to ask over and over and I just ignored her. Finally, after asking at least ten times, she stopped and said "I can't heaw you."

She seems to have a pretty good understanding of pronouns and uses them correctly most of the time. Occasionally she'll use "me" inaccurately, but then will correct herself. As in: "Me do it. I do it."

3 comments:

Suzy said...

That's really funny. Hopefully you won't get her back to Scot with a potty mouth ;).

Tami said...

It will be quite a difference raising a boy after your talkative little girl! At the same age, Asher will be saying, roar, car and ball ;) Yeah, you have to watch what you say with a little sponge around :D

Stephanie said...

So funny you should post this. Our 2-year-old daughter has started picking up *everything*. She too sometimes says "dangit" and "oh gosh" and "oh bother" (from Winnie-the-Pooh). That last one is kinda cute, but the others...we could do without.

Nothing like having a toddler to remind you to speak with grace and good grammar and kindness...