Last year when we were introducing new foods to Riley she may or may not have had an allergic reaction to peanuts. (She also had a bug bite, so we didn't know if that might have caused the rash.) Since then we have carefully avoided them just in case. But we recently thought it was time to find out for sure.
On Wednesday night we had a Thai chicken dish for dinner with peanut butter in the marinade. The only problem Riley had with that was the strength of the curry. I slipped her a mini Reese's cup on Thursday, and still no reaction. So on Friday we took the plunge:
a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
She told me several times how much she loved her "samich" while she was eating it. I let her stay up to play longer than usual between lunch and naptime so I could keep an eye on her. Not long after she finished lunch I noticed a pink spot on her cheek. When I looked closer I saw that her face was slightly swollen as well.
The next morning she still had a little rash on her face and neck.
Fortunately that's as bad as it got. Unfortunately she is definitely allergic to peanuts. I guess we should be grateful that it was just a rash, not anaphylaxis, but I feel so bad that that was quite possibly her last peanut butter sandwich.
5 comments:
No strawberries and now no peanut butter? It's especially sad how she always thoroughly enjoys her test runs. Poor kid.
Lack of PB and Strawberries = double sadness. Hopefully she'll grow out of it! Poor kid.
Let me just say that you might not want to give up on peanut butter yet given that her allergy is not severe. Take a look at this article from the New York Time and possibly talk with your doctor. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/health/16peanuts.html
At least she didn't react to the peanut butter cup. What a sad life if one had to forego that little bit of goodness. :)
By the way, Riley is getting so big! Those pictures of her make her look much older than 2!
I hope she will get to eat another PB & J again....she looks like she is enjoying it sooo much! Love the smile! She is getting so grown up!
Post a Comment