Well, here I am, on the cusp of entering my 4th decade of life on earth. In other times, that would be an outstanding accomplishment, yet now, it merely represents less than half of an average lifetime and just the start of a realization of potential. So, today, I bid farewell to my 20's, a decade that will be hard to beat, although I certainly hope that each decade gets better, as it has done so far. I am surprised that I'm a little more sentimental about it than I thought I would be. I thought I wouldn't really care. But rather than thinking that it's all downhill from here, I look at this as just the start, like the 20's are the foundation that I'll build on.
I started this past decade of life in Guatemala as a missionary and end it a husband, father, and doctor (although, as some people say, not the type that helps people).
I've learned to love. I've learned to sacrifice. I've learned to work hard. I've gained a greater respect for my parents and good examples around me. I've learned I have more drive and ambition that I previously thought. I've learned the sorrow of infertility and the joy of adoption. I've learned to stop and think before making judgment or spouting off. I've learned when to go it alone and when to ask for help. I've learned more about myself, my limits, and my capabilities. I've learned when things get crazy, my wife and I can simplify our lives to the essentials and get through it. I've learned to dream and work towards it. I've learned to think independently and examine problems from different angles. I've learned I don't have my high school body anymore but can still enjoy the activities and sports I like. I've learned to slow down and enjoy the journey instead of rushing from one thing to the next, checking something off of a list.
I know I still have a lot to look forward to, like going to my first rock concert (it would have been this year, but U2 postponed their tour), developing my career, and battling teenage kids. I'm looking forward to even better 30's, where a little gray hair will add to the aura of wisdom and experience, although I'll still be figuring things out. Good-bye 20's, I'll miss you, but I'm moving on to better things.
1 comment:
Wow, that just made me more anxious for February than I was. You have a good attitude. Way to go and HAPPY BIRTHDAY yesterday!
Post a Comment