Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bad News, Good News

Our fingerprints for Immigration went through, so now we have completed everything we can do to this point regarding Tyson's adoption. When we were matched with him in November we were told by our agency that the parents who had gone over most recently to pick up their children had waited 8 months between when they were matched and when they were given the green light to travel. So a travel date of sometime in July was their best estimate for us. Unfortunately I was told a few weeks ago that the wait is getting longer. Parents that are traveling now have been waiting 10 months since being matched with their children! So that's the bad news. The process could pick up again, and that is what we are praying for. Of course we want him home with us and part of our family as soon as possible. But I also feel that the older he is, the more difficult that transition will be for him.

But we did get some good news from the agency a week ago that has compensated for the bad news just a little. Our Case Manager will be traveling to Korea later this month. She will be spending some time at the Korean agency, and will be meeting the kids that are waiting to come home to AAC families! She will be taking photos and videos of Tyson and the other babies! I can't wait! I'm getting a little choked up just thinking about watching that video. But here is the part of her email that I haven't been able to stop thinking about.
If you have a few specific questions you’d like me to ask your child’s foster mom, please email them to me. General questions regarding sleeping, eating, and development will already be covered.  (Our time with your child will be very limited, so please keep the questions brief. Thanks!)
I have so many questions that I want her to ask that I can't decide on a single one. I want to be as prepared when we bring him home as I possibly can, but he is 10 months old now, and will likely be 15 months or more when he comes home. His favorite things now (food, toys, etc.) will likely be totally different when he comes home. And there are obviously so many developmental changes between now and then.

So if it were you, what would you want to know?

4 comments:

MartyE said...

Wow, Becca. I hope and pray that little Tyson will be home with you guys soon!

What would I ask...? Maybe, "What makes Tyson happy? Or what makes Tyson laugh?" You know, some kids love music or dancing at an early age, some kids love snuggling, etc.
Keep us posted!

Michelle said...

Wow - such a long, difficult process to get little Tyson into your family! But I can tell he is so loved by you already! Maybe you can ask a little bit about his temperment? In my BRIEF experience as a mother, it seems like temperments seem to carry through as they grow and change. I like Marty's questions as well. Good luck!

Alicia said...

I would ask if there is something that soothes him the fastest. Does he like to be left alone to cry it out? Does he need a blanket and cuddles? Is it a special toy?

Tiffany said...

I can't wait till you get to pick up your little guy!! I think I'd go with the temperament question too. How is he with his foster mom? Is he clingy or adventurous? Both have their perks! :) I'm excited to hear what he's like and what he's doing right now!