I wrote a blog post a year ago (almost exactly) of my concerns of "raising a daughter in a superficial world." I read an article by author Lisa Bloom this morning that reminded me of the subject and gave me some good ideas. Hope it inspires you as much as it did me.
Huffington Post: How to Talk to Little Girls. "I always bite my tongue when I meet little girls, restraining myself from my first impulse, which is to tell them how darn cute/ pretty/ beautiful/ well-dressed/ well-manicured/ well-coiffed they are."
2 comments:
This was so interesting. I totally found myself thinking about it as Reese got dressed this morning and both Tom and I told her how cute she looked. Her ideas are definitely something to consider!
Awesome post, Becca (and the post about Riley). I think about this ALL THE TIME, and I don't even have a girl! My thoughts were first initiated from a visit at the mall awhile ago. LITTLE girls, like 9-10, were walking around with heavy makeup, revealing clothing, and their language was offensive. They had caught the attention of a group of older boys, and the boys were now following close behind.
I first thought no wonder why young kids are now sexually active (I had recently heard a stat on kids who were 10, 11, 12 that were sexually active and was sick upon hearing it). Our world is full of filth and sends selfish messages about what we have to have and do to to be accepted.
My thoughts then turned to how sad girls that age think that dressing/acting like what they see in the media is beautiful. Like that is the only way we can be accepted. It made me really mad and made me determined that if we were blessed with a girl, I would do my best to help her understand that beauty is what the Lord sees. Nothing else matters. I began to feel so passionately about this, and have ever since. Now just hoping that a girl will come. Someday. :)
I have never thought about the power that comes from telling a little girl that she is pretty, or a dress she is wearing looks great on her. Next time, I will try to talk about other things instead of physical appearance--things that matter more to her self-worth than what we see on the outside.
It also makes me more committed to teaching Bridger to treat women with respect and how God sees them.
Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment