Friday, December 16, 2011

A Christmas To Remember

I find myself enjoying Christmas-time more each year, as my kids’ understanding and enthusiasm grows. I love this season, but every year it seems like it goes by too fast. Part of the reason for that this year is that, in addition to all the holiday festivities, we’re busy making arrangements to bring Tyson home.

But when I look back, I want to remember this time of year for more than just the excitement of bringing Tyson home. This is the first year that Asher has really gotten excited about Christmas. He’s the one that reminds us every evening to turn on the Christmas lights. Riley has been involved in making and shopping for gifts for family members and friends, and has been very excited about the giving aspect of Christmas. They each have a favorite Christmas song. When “Let It Snow” came on the radio last week, Asher told me it was his favorite song, and every time he’s heard it since then he declares, “dis my favewit song” or “I wuv dis song.” Riley loves “Angels We Have Heard On High” for the alleluias.

We have three “kid-friendly” nativities that are all set up side-by-side on a sofa table. The kids have been playing with those nativities more than just about any toy in the house. Not surprisingly, Riley is very particular about how each nativity is set up, and is careful not to get the pieces mixed up with each other. On the other hand, I often hear Asher orchestrating battles between the camels and the donkeys. One morning Mary and a palm tree were even caught up in the fray.

I’m so happy that Christmas is on a Sunday this year. That we will have the opportunity, mid-morning to join with our church-family in singing praises to God and Christ, and to be reminded of the reason for this holiday.

Merry Christmas to all of you! We look forward to sharing photos of Christmas day, and photos of Tyson. They may be a little delayed, but I promise to get them up here. Don't forget to send me your email address, since we'll be making the blog private soon!

No comments: