Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SafeSide Kids

If you've got young kids and haven't heard of The Safe Side, I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's a great resource for helping kids stay safe, with a focus on awareness, preparedness, and action. Scot stumbled onto it when he was looking online for ideas of how to teach "stranger-danger" concepts to our kids before Riley started kindergarten. We were impressed with the how they suggest to teach safety to young children.

Riley and Asher were both expressing interest in taking a karate class. When I looked at the classes offered through the community, I found once called Safe Side Kids Karate, where they use the Safe Side approach to introduce basic karate. Perfect!

Riley and Asher approached the class about the same way they approach life. Riley enthusiastically jumped right into it. She was excited to learn the right way to kick, and was keeya-ing at the top of her lungs. Asher preferred to hang back at first, watching the other kids participate, and sizing up the sensei. Once he warmed up the new people and the new setting, he was happy to participate, but he was still the most reserved kid in the group.

I snapped this photo after class one day with my phone. It sums up pretty well their class participation.

And the video taken a week earlier makes it pretty obvious.

No comments: