Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Butterfly Pavilion

I'd been hearing about the Butterfly Pavilion since we moved to Colorado, but honestly, I suspected it was a bit over-hyped. We made a list after we moved closer to Denver of all the things in and around the city that we'd like to visit, see, or do. Scot put the Butterfly Pavilion on the list, and he made it happen. I was pleasantly surprised by the invertebrate zoo.

The kids had a great time trying to spot all the different butterfly species, and Riley and Asher appreciated being able to get up close.

Notice the butterfly clip in Riley's hair. That was not a coincidence. She was convinced that one of the real butterflies would fall for the ruse and land on her head.

Tyson wasn't as comfortable with the proximity. In fact, this was as close as he got to a butterfly the whole time, and was the result of quite a bit of coaxing and reassuring.

He had a much greater appreciation for the over-sized bugs that he could climb on in the playscape.


I was as proud of myself as the kids felt when we each took a turn holding Rosie, the tarantula. Tyson didn't participate in this activity. We can chalk it up to the fact that he was too young, according to Pavilion rules, but we all know he never would have done it, even if they'd let him.



We concluded that it was a fun place to spend a Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Eilene said...

Looks like a fun time, with the exception of holding the tarantula--I'd have to pass on that. It reminds me too much of the one found in the backyard with all the babies, and later down the disposal.
I noticed Riley's clip in the first pic and thought how cute it was. Not surprised that she had a plan when she picked it out.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon.