Our second camping trip of the summer was the cushiest camping trip I've ever taken. We heard good things about a campground outside of Colorado Springs, so we decided it would be fun to check out. We do nearly all our camping at state parks, with outhouse-type toilets and few amenities, so this place seemed luxurious to us. Not only were there flushing toilets, there were showers, a playground, a stocked fishing pond, and a swimming pool & splash pad.
S'mores were high on the kids' priority list, so we built a fire and enjoyed them the first night.
After a breakfast of oatmeal and hot chocolate, we headed to nearby Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument.
After our morning at Florissant comes the part of the camping trip where we got really "soft." As we were headed back to the campground for lunch, we passed through a cute mountain town called Woodland Park, and Scot spotted a little shop called The Donut Mill. He spontaneously pulled the car over and told the kids he had a surprise for us. As we walked into the building he and I spotted a sign that said they served Blue Bell ice cream, in addition to donuts. When it comes to sweets, I don't have a lot of restraints in the most ideal conditions. But when we're on vacation, I have almost no will power. So I suggested that we get ice cream to eat now, and we could take a box of donuts back to the campsite to eat with our breakfast the following morning. Scot was easily convinced.
By the time we got back to camp, no one was hungry, so those ice cream cones ended up being lunch. Instead of eating, we put on our swimsuits and went to the pool. After swimming and showering we got back in the car and headed toward Colorado Springs for one of our very favorite things, Rudy's bbq. We fell in love with Rudy's when we lived in Texas, and wouldn't miss the opportunity to partake when we are in (or near) the same town as a Rudy's Country Store.
After we got the kids to sleep in the tent that evening, Scot and I went on a date. . .we watched a movie on the DVD player in the minivan. The next morning was donuts for breakfast, the kids played for a little around the camp, and then we packed up and headed to Garden of the Gods. I think more people would camp if they knew it could be that cushy.
By the time we got back to camp, no one was hungry, so those ice cream cones ended up being lunch. Instead of eating, we put on our swimsuits and went to the pool. After swimming and showering we got back in the car and headed toward Colorado Springs for one of our very favorite things, Rudy's bbq. We fell in love with Rudy's when we lived in Texas, and wouldn't miss the opportunity to partake when we are in (or near) the same town as a Rudy's Country Store.
After we got the kids to sleep in the tent that evening, Scot and I went on a date. . .we watched a movie on the DVD player in the minivan. The next morning was donuts for breakfast, the kids played for a little around the camp, and then we packed up and headed to Garden of the Gods. I think more people would camp if they knew it could be that cushy.






No comments:
Post a Comment