Sunday, August 26, 2007

Richmond with Alicia

During our visit to North Carolina, Riley and I took a day-trip to Richmond. The city itself isn't exactly a popular tourist destination (unless you're REALLY into Confederate war history, which I'm not). But it was the half-way point between Raleigh and Arlington, so we met there to spend the day with Alicia. I'm usually better at taking pictures, but that day I only got the camera out once. So thanks to Alicia for sending these pics for the blog.


Some of my best memories with Alicia involve 1) a greasy little diner in SLC called Bill & Nada's, 2) driving around the city, with no particular destination, just talking and listening to interesting music, and 3) finding places for good BBQ (which isn't as hard to do in Salt Lake as a Texan might think). We were pretty successful at recreating all three of those in Richmond.


First we met up at a cafe that was recommended for it's good breakfast. Once we sat down and looked around we realized that this little cafe doubled as a bar. Since it was 10:30 in the morning, I didn't think much of it. But Alicia totally had a Sweet Home Alabama moment when she exclaimed, "we brought your baby to a bar!"


We spent the rest of the day driving around downtown, getting lost a few times, and strolling through some boutiques in a cute old neighborhood called Carytown. And of course, we ended the day with barbeque. Alicia outdid herself with this find. I can't imagine that I'll ever be in Richmond again, but if I am, I will definitely go back to Buz & Ned's for their ribs. And Alicia and I weren't the only people that were impressed. The place was featured on the Food Network's "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" in June. I didn't know about it until I say the Flayslayer t-shirts they were selling and the autographed photo of Buz with Bobby. I'm sure I looked a little crazy having my photo taken with a photo. But I had to have proof when I told the story to my Food Network-junkie husband.


Thanks for the fun day, Alicia! And no complaining now about getting on the blog ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come visit us next!

Scot said...

I don't know who "us" is...

Anonymous said...

Finally! I made the blog! Granted, now the internet knows I take children to bars but still...
I had a great time with you and Riley in Richmond. It would be almost worth it to go back there for the BBQ. But this time we're having breakfast at a waffle house.
-alicia