Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Food Frenzy

I've been making homemade baby food for Riley since she started eating solids. I don't make all the food she eats. Unless it's something that's not available, I give her store-bought baby food every time I introduce a new food. And since the homemade stuff has to stay frozen until it's served, it's not real convenient for traveling and meals away from home. However, there are a lot of benefits to this little hobby of mine.
  • It saves us quite a bit of money. I've never done the math, but I figure if we just fed her store-bought baby food, we'd spend a little more than $25 a week on her food alone.

  • It's gratifying to see Riley enjoy things I've made for her. She devours the sweet potato/ chicken/ rice concoction I thought up. And she can't get enough of the avocado/ pear mixture. She likes nearly every food we've given her, with the exception of raisins.

  • I can give her a greater variety of foods this way. Gerber just doesn't make baby foods that include avacado, garlic, or cranberry.

  • I enjoy it. I've always liked being in the kitchen, and this is a fun new way to be creative with food.

Here's a photo of all the foods I started out with this morning, cooked, prepped, and ready to be mashed, blended, and pureed. Broccoli, pears, cinnamon, brown rice, avacados, blueberries, cheese, peaches, wheat germ, bananas, garlic powder, chicken, peas, ginger, applesauce, butternut squash, and juices.

The result? 135 ounces of baby food, which is enough for at least 25 meals (when you add in some cereal).

If Scot and I always ate this nutritiously we might have as much energy as Riley has. Sleeping thirteen of every 24 hours couldn't hurt either.

5 comments:

Trotts said...

I really like your new background, but you spelled my name wrong. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just a typing error. Good idea with the homemade food thing. When I have kids I'll pay you to make their baby food.

Scot said...

Sorry, with the new template, I had to enter everyone in again and mistyped it. It is now fixed. I have been having fun modifying templates (I have to go search through the code to change it). I think this one looks a lot better than the standard blogger templates.

Alicia said...

You're like the mom Martha Stewart. And I love that all your ingredients are in separate bowls like on a cooking show. You could be Diane Keaton in Baby Boom with your own baby food brand!

The Higginbothams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Higginbothams said...

It seems like you dedicated the day to making Riley's food. It looks like you provide her with quite the assortment. I guess since you're a stay-at-home Mom, making your baby's food is exactly what you should be doing, right? I know it takes lots of time and energy, so good job making homemade baby food! It's always nice when you can be creative and save money at the same time. By the way, awesome picture.