Monday, June 30, 2008

15 Months Old

Riley is as active as ever. This little girl is NEVER still. Even when she is sleeping she rolls around and flings her arms and legs. All this activity, along with simple genetics, probably explains why she's such a lightweight. At her 15th month appointment she weighed in at 18 pounds, 3 ounces, but is 31 inches tall.

As Scot put it, "What she lacks in weight, she makes up for in vocabulary." By my count she can say at least 25 words on her own (not just repeating us when we say them). Some of her latest are puppy, Jesus, and cookie. I've lost count of the number of words she can say if we count those that she repeats.

Naptime yesterday was a good example of Riley's "active lifestyle." On Sundays we usually get home from church about noon. Most days Riley still takes a morning and an afternoon nap, but since we leave the house a little after 8 am, on Sundays she eats lunch when we get home and then goes right down for a long nap. Yesterday was a definite exception. I put her in bed after lunch, as usual. But instead of going right to sleep she whined in her crib for a little while and then started playing with the two stuffed animals we leave in there. She often does that before sleeping on the days that she gets two naps, so I didn't pay much attention.

But she continued to cry and play and jabber and sing for another two hours! At one point we peaked in and she was literally running laps around her crib while yelling incoherantly. A few minutes later she was sitting with her legs dangling over the mattress, through the rails and singing to herself. We finally gave up and got her out of bed. We let her run around the living room for a little while and gave her a snack. Then back into bed she went. It still took her close to an hour before she finally went to sleep at nearly 5:00. Then she slept for less than an hour before she up and ready to go again.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It's AMAZING to see how much she has grown next to that teddy bear! I had to go back to her 1 month picture last April and it's crazy to see how much she has changed in just over a year! (I love the idea of taking a picture next to a teddy bear by the way...I might steal it!)

Beth schell said...

She is still adorable... and I love how she will sit and pose! How do you maintain the energy to keep up with her? (No seriously, I want to know!)

Tiffany said...

Heehee, when I read that she was running laps in her crib, I thought, that must be how she stays so skinny! She secretly is doing this in the middle of the night. She's already scared of getting fat!! Anyways, that made me laugh.