It has now been medically confirmed that Riley is skinny. As a former skinny child, I've always hated that word. When people tell you that you're skinny, it's rarely as a compliment. When you are young and just want to fit in and be like your friends, being told you are skinny singles you out. As you get older it is usually said with a note of envy or even contempt. So you might hear me describe myself or others as slender, or even thin. But rarely skinny.
But back to my original point. At Riley's 15-month check-up this afternoon we found that she is in the 75th percentile for height and about the 3rd for weight. That's right, she has fallen off the chart. With the combination of her height and weight, even I am willing to admit that she's skinny. The doctor pointed out that her lower ribs are visible, which I never thought was abnormal. She's been bony since she was born, and my ribs always stuck out a little when I was a kid.
Our pediatrician is on vacation, so we saw a substitute doctor today. She was great, and Riley actually fussed less for her that she does with our usual doctor. We were told by the sub to come back in a month for another weight check. In the meantime, we are supposed to put more butter, cheese, and heavy sauces on her food (so we feed her like she's in France), and supplement her diet with a half can of Pediasure each day. If she's still underweight at the appointment in a month, Riley may be referred to a nutritionist. Seriously?!
I'm convinced that no one gets greater satisfaction at the word normal than a mother in a pediatrician's office. This is the first time I've walked out of that office thinking my baby wasn't normal. I guess in Riley's case, she is less than normal (pun completely intended). On the bright side, Riley cried much less after the shots than she has since her 3-month appointment. Thanks to me and my quick thinking, Riley now thinks the four round Tweety bandages on her legs are stickers. It also didn't hurt that I was quick to give her some animal crackers and her cup of milk.
6 comments:
But wouldn't you rather have her be too skinny than too fat? I mean, to fix her problem, she gets to eat whatever she wants, smothered in butter. If she were too fat, you'd be ripping yummy food from her hands and that'd make you feel worse! I'd definitely take too skinny any day!
Sounds like a good diet to me. I had someone give me a bunch of recipes using pediasure if you are interested let me know.
Well, at least with the two of you being "slender" you will seem even more biologically related. I think she might have a bit of that square jaw of yours too. But who'd she get those cute dimples from? Good luck fattening her up!
Little does the doctor know, she's the next America's Next Top Model.
Cory
I never once thought that she looked too skinny. She eats like a champ! I guess she can start hanging out with weight lifters and drinking weight gain shakes. Mmmm.
Sounds like our Kali. She'll be 4 in a few months and is tipping the scales at 29 pounds. Since Pediasure is so expensive, our doctor gave us a good alternative. She get carnation instant breakfast with breakfast and dinner. Sometimes we even throw some extra powdered milk in there just to beef it up. She is referred to as green bean, I wish I had that problem...
Post a Comment