Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Canyon Park

Two Saturdays ago, the weather was really nice, so we decided to go to one of the city parks, Spring Canyon Park. Fort Collins has 6 city parks that range from 60-100 acres and include features like skate parks, playgrounds, mountain biking course, frisbee golf, a farm, etc. They planned the city so that at most, everyone was within 2 miles of a city park. There are also regular community parks that are like most parks you would imagine. Spring Canyon Park is at the base of the mountains against open space and has some trailheads for mountain biking. It also has a very impressive universally accessible playground (the first in Colorado), tennis courts, ball fields, open space, a dog park, etc. During the summer, there is also a water feature.

Notice the rotating wheel of death in the middle of the above picture near the bottom (next to the man standing there). I decided (without thinking) to get on it and run. I ran fast enough to reach the top, but it was rotating faster and faster and I had no escape plan. I tripped and jacked my shin on the top and crashed to the ground. A lady stranger playing on the teeter-totter looked at me and then just busted up laughing. I tried to save face by getting back on and walking a little, but there was this stabbing pain in my leg, so I jumped off and ran/hobbled off like I was looking for my kid. Anyway, it took off a layer of skin through my pants and left a huge bruise. Becca was just upset that she couldn't have seen it so she could have laughed hard at me as well.

Riley loved all of the slides and that there were so many different things to do on the playground. There was one slide built into the hill that she had no hesitation on going down.

She walked up this hill and then tried to slide down on it, but it was a little too slow for her liking.

I had a fun time as well playing and running around with Riley. If I were a kid again, this would be a great place for some no-ground-tag.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

That looks like an awesome park! How do we get one of those around here?! I'm sure Riley loved it!

Tami said...

That looks like fun! We'll have to visit that park when we come to visit ;)

Tiffany said...

That does look like fun, but I really would have loved to see the "spill" for myself!! =)LOL