Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gardening

We had a small garden in Austin, but really wanted to do "square foot gardening" like some friends in Austin and my sister. It's just more efficient than row planting. For example, last year, we planted 100 onion starters. What were we going to do with 100 onions while moving in a couple of months? We didn't water much and the summer was really hot, so we didn't even try to harvest them.

In square foot gardening, you build the soil up rather than trying to improve your own soil (which we found out that Ft. Collins soil is nice and dark anyway, but has a lot of clay - a gardening lady warned me of adding sand to it because it would make adobe). We (ok, actually I) decided to make a 4' x 8' garden rather than two 4' x 4' boxes because it took one less 8' cedar plank.

I don't know what we are planting, so if you want to know, you'll need to ask Becca. My job is to get the garden built and ready by April 10th. I forget why April 10th, but it has to do something with planting some crop in this Zone 5 area. So, from my end, here are some important items and steps for building this garden.
  • Decide on the spot for the garden, close enough to see regurlarly so you are more inclined to water/weed/harvest as necessary. Check.
  • Dig out grass and level area. Check.
  • Buy wood for the box. 3 1" x 8" x 8' cedar planks. Check.
  • Cut the wood to size and assemble. Check.
  • Get 5 cubic feet of peat moss, compost, and vermiculite. Mix. Check.
  • Make square foot grid out. Will be done soon.
  • Get 4-6" of snow on April 4th. Check. Wait, WHAT?

4 comments:

Katy said...

Most people in CO say don't plant anything until after Mothers Day. My mom always waits until Memorial Day. The day Brian and I got married (April 30th) it snow in Colorado, luckily we got married in SLC and still had our "spring wedding"

Make sure to plant tulips or some other bulb flower this fall. In CO it is cold enough that you never have to dig them up and refridgerate like we do in TX.
They are the only flowers you can enjoy in the spring with out risking wasting your investment.

Rachel B. said...

Um yeah, that's annoying Colorado for ya! It seems like as long as we've been here, as soon as we think we're in the clear for warm weather---BAMMO there's more snow than we ever had during the actual winter months. I'm sure you're missing your old warm home right about now...until August rolls around anyway. I promise Colorado has nice summers!

Eilene said...

Is that a new layer of snow since I was there last week? If so then seems as if mother nature is making up for when I was out shoveling in December and you'd tell me you hadn't seen any snow. We've had our share of storms this past week but at least they melt by afternoon. Have fun planting your garden in that.

Tiffany said...

Even here in Utah I won't be planting my garden until the end of April or May. But it does help to plant some of your garden indoors to get it started. We have planted indoors: pumpkins, butternut squash, zuchinni, watermelon, and a yummy santa clause melon(the best melon ever!), but have yet to see any sprouts of the melons. Then you can transplant them when it is warm enough outside. Stupid weather though, I was out weeding one day and the next it snowed!