Soon after we got married Scot and I discussed our childhood traditions and which we would like to pass on to our own children. One of Scot's favorite family traditions from his childhood was being taken to dinner by his parents, without any siblings, on his half birthday. We agreed that would be a fun one to do with our kids someday.
Soon after Riley's second birthday last spring we agreed that two and a half was probably a good age to begin the tradition. But as her half birthday approached we recognized that approximately six months after their birthdays, our kids each have an event to celebrate that is more meaningful than a half-birthday. So instead, we will celebrate the day that each of them became a part of our eternal family.
For Riley, that day is October 20th. Scot thoughtfully brought flowers for her when he came home from work.

We let Riley choose what she wanted for dinner. Not surprisingly, she chose pizza and chocolate milk.

She had a fun evening, and we hope that she will some day have some very special memories from this tradition.
Soon after Riley's second birthday last spring we agreed that two and a half was probably a good age to begin the tradition. But as her half birthday approached we recognized that approximately six months after their birthdays, our kids each have an event to celebrate that is more meaningful than a half-birthday. So instead, we will celebrate the day that each of them became a part of our eternal family.
For Riley, that day is October 20th. Scot thoughtfully brought flowers for her when he came home from work.
We let Riley choose what she wanted for dinner. Not surprisingly, she chose pizza and chocolate milk.
She had a fun evening, and we hope that she will some day have some very special memories from this tradition.
3 comments:
Thanks for the idea on cutting hair! I did Lincoln's in the jumperoo last time, and he was okay with that, but JJ screamed bloody murder the whole time I tried to cut his. As a result, I just gave up, and he is now very shaggy. I'm going to give the bathtub a try.
That's such a wonderful tradition to have with your kids to celebrate their sealings! I love Riley's choice of foods. It made me think of this song (for reasons that will be obvious). It says "[Explicit]" next to the song title, but I don't know what that's about; it's a CD for kids. (I tried to find a site where you could listen to the whole song, but they all required logins.) I re-listened carefully to it to make sure I didn't miss something, and I promise it's safe. Although Jeff says, apropos of this concern, "It does advocate throwing tantrums."
Riley always takes a good picture, but I think that one of her with her flowers is my absolute favorite.
I love this! What a good dad bringing his daughter flowers.
Post a Comment