Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Found: "How To Raise Boys Who Read"

I have loved reading as long as I can remember. I was the kid that always had a library book in my bag so I could read on the bus to and from school. I was the kid that snuck a flashlight into bed at night so I could read under the covers. Now I am the adult who considers a trip to the library a crucial part of preparation for any vacation. I am the adult who listens to audiobooks on my iPod twice as much as I listen to music. I am the mom who thinks books are the best gift you can give a child. I am the mom who is doing a Christmas book advent with my kids.
I hope my kids love to read too. I have read quite a few of the American Girls books to Riley, and now we're working on the Ramona series. After that I'm thinking Little House on the Prairie. Last month she completed a 100-lesson reading program! And Asher refused to go down for a nap unless he has at least three books in bed with him. I look forward to when they are older and we can read and discuss books together. Maybe they will even love some of the books I loved, like The Boxcar Children and the Bobbsey Twins.

I was surprised by the opening paragraph of an article I just read. "... in some states the percentage of boys proficient in reading is now more than ten points below that of girls. The male-female reading gap is found in every socio-economic and ethnic category, including the children of white, college-educated parents." I am completely in favor of the solution this man suggests.

The Wall Street Journal: How To Raise Boys Who Read. "So why won't boys read? The AP story drops a clue when it describes the efforts of one frustrated couple with their 13-year-old unlettered son: 'They've tried bribing him with new video games.' Good grief."

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I don't know...I have it on record as 19 year old Becca thinks books make a terrible gift. And please don't forget to do the Anastasia books with Riley or the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frank something. I loved those books so much. Or I'll just give them to her for some event.

Tiffany said...

Great article! Having boys first, I'm hoping they'll always enjoy reading! Right now they do. Thanks for sharing this.

Thompson Tales said...

Just read your email about Tyson!!! Congratulations to you and your family!! Have a safe trip, we are so excited for your family!