I've been trying to practice my smoking since Texas bbq isn't as accessible here. I wanted to try smoking spare ribs because I had only tried baby back ribs before. I used my secret rub (ok, it's a variation on Essence of Emeril) and used the 3-2-1 method (smoke for 3 hours at 225º, wrap in foil with a splash of apple juice for 2 hours and cook at 225º, unwrap and cook on indirect heat again for the last hour). I used apple wood in a smoker box on the right part of the grill with no flames on the left. They turned out pretty good. They came pretty clean off the bone and had great flavor, but spare ribs have a little more cartilage so they are a little more work to eat than baby backs. We also grilled some marinated chicken (zesty italian dressing - that's all, you'll thank me later) and hot dogs for the kiddos.
Here's the setup: I used an oven thermometer to make sure that grill level was 225º because the thermometer at the top of my grill reads hotter (hot air rises).
I made two racks:
See the smoke ring? That's the badge of honor.
I tried making some homemade bbq sauce again. Last time, it was pretty good, but I'm still in search of a good recipe. I like mine tomato based and peppery, with not much sweet, hickory, or vinegary taste. If you've been to Rudy's that's what I'm looking for. Of course, the ribs were just fine without sauce. Any great recipes out there? I made one that was sweet and tangy - I think it had too much apple cider vinegar, but I balanced it with a little molasses.
Next up is probably smoking a turkey breast. Brisket will follow eventually.
3 comments:
I tried doing pulled pork with indirect grilling last week, but unfortunately, it really didn't work out very well-I now wonder if my grill wasn't hot enough since I was using the thermometer on the top of the grill...hmmm....I cheat with my baby back ribs-I boil them before I put them on the grill ;)
Boiling is super cheating. At least just cook it in the oven at 225 for 2-3 hours (2 for baby back, 3 for spare). We've made pulled pork in the crock pot (5# pork shoulder, 1 T liquid smoke, 2-3 T kosher salt, 8-12 hours = yum). Cook the pork in the garage though, because the smell for hours 3-6 can wake you up and you think something has died.
Yummm Scot. I wouldn't mind trying some of your grilling masterpieces ;) those baby back ribs were already dang good!
Post a Comment